The best beauty starts with good skin and acne is a real obstacle to achieving that flawless look. So what exactly is acne?
Acne that is Acne vulgaris is better known as common acne is a skin condition that causes pimples or "zits." This includes whiteheads, blackheads, and red, inflammed patches of skin (such as cysts).
Causes, incidence, and risk factors:
Acne occurs when tiny holes on the surface of the skin become clogged. These holes are called pores.
Each pore opens to a follicle. A follicle contains a hair and an oil gland. The oil released by the gland helps remove old skin cells and keeps your skin soft.
When glands produce too much oil, the pores can become blocked. Dirt, bacteria, and cells build up. The blockage is called a plug or comedone (that’s why non-comedogenic = does not create a comedone)
· If the top of the plug is white, it is called a whitehead.
· If the top of the plug is dark, it is called a blackhead.
· If the plug breaks open, swelling and red bumps occur.
· Acne that is deep in your skin can cause hard, painful cysts. This is called cystic acne.
Acne is most common in teenagers, but anyone can get acne, even babies. Three out of four teenagers have some acne. Hormonal changes may cause the skin to be more oily.
Acne tends to run in families. It may be triggered by:
- Hormonal changes related to puberty, menstrual periods, pregnancy, birth control pills, or stress
- Greasy or oily cosmetic and hair products
- Certain drugs (such as steroids, testosterone, oestrogen)
- High levels of humidity and sweating
- Research does not show that chocolate, nuts, and greasy foods cause acne. However, diets high in refined sugars may be related to acne.
What NOT to do:
One major cause of acne is oily skin and this can be taken care of with some ingredients right in our kitchen! Easy and natural.
1. Apply lemon juice to the face before going to bed
2. Make a paste of oatmeal and apply it on your face and leave it for 15-20 minutes, then rinse with warm water
3. Apply tomato purée on the face and leave it for 10-15minutes then wash with water. This also prevents the outburst pimples
4.Mix an apple with four tablespoon of honey. Leave the paste on the skin for 15 minutes.Rinse with warm water.
5. Using Fuller’s earth (multani mitti) mixed with rose water or plain water as a face pack. Fuller’s earth contains clay, Bentonite clay to be exact. Bentonite is clay that is is rich in minerals and it comes from volcanic ash. After a Volcano erupts, the ash settles onto the ground, cools down and becomes the clay that we use in many products. This mask detoxifies your skin from impurities and toxins.
6.To heal a pimple quickly, apply 100% tea tree oil with a (NEW) cotton swab on the pimple every few hours. Do NOT use the same one.
7.Keep an eye drop handy for spots and pimples. It reduces pain, swelling and redness